3:40 PM

by Chelsea Geach

Write Side Up is a group of four journalism students from Rhodes University, South Africa. We hope to open up discussion about the world of journalism, compare reading lists with other students and, of course, share stories about life as a ‘journo’-in-training.

Before wading into the world of journalism, however, I’m going to kick off with an introduction, written in a blog-appropriate tone of self-centredness:

Writing a personal blog is narcissistic and self-indulgent – and, if done right, incredibly entertaining! I am a fearsomely opinionated individual, but only with regards to highly important matters such as res food (I reject sautéed streetchild!), BCom students (down with popped collars and white loafers!) and Rhodes slang…bru.

On other important matters such as politics, literature, theatre and the Meaning of Life, I prefer to explore rather than rant. Being opinionated is (in my opinion!) overrated. I would far rather discuss, debate and hopefully discover exciting new perspectives that can challenge and illuminate the views I have of the world.

To cast my geeky explorer’s headlamp over a few personal interests, I would like to use this blog to talk about literature; as aspiring journalists we all have reading material to comment on and recommend. Another relevant and (I hope) fascinating topic is the influence of journalism in modern societies, and, by extension, in popular culture. From here, we can saunter into the realm of politics, and the function of journalism in modern democracies. Alternatively, we can pry into the role of journalism and reading in general in shaping individuals and cultural identity.

Rather than a proclamation of my beliefs and world views (although those will certainly be included), I hope for this to be a forum of discussion, exploration and the sharing of good writing.

So, dear reader, I would love to entertain you with generous helpings of Bill Bryson-esque humour on a bed of wit and thrilling experiences. Unfortunately for us both, all I have to offer is a staple of sarcasm, a side of cynicism and, if we’re lucky, the odd dash of intelligence.

Read on!

0 Responses to "Indulge me"

Post a Comment